Sunday, June 23, 2019

Statement Regarding Ravelry's New Gag Order Policy

I try to keep politics out of my crafting, but recently Ravelry has made a statement I feel must be addressed.

"Support of the Trump administration is unambiguously and undeniably support for white supremacy."  - Ravelry administration

No.

You cannot make this a blanket statement.  It is NOT a fact.  Yes, there are prejudiced people who support President Trump, just as there are hateful people who don't.  Continue to ban hate speech as identified by the courts.  Supporting the democratically elected President DOES NOT make me a white supremacist.  Ravelry is promoting hate speech and prejudice by saying this.  They state they are not banning Republicans, but they are discriminating by putting a gag on our speech.  I am incredibly saddened and disappointed that Ravelry has become so politicized, because it is a useful crafting website.  Ravelry has now created a hostile environment for conservatives.

I will continue to use Ravelry, as it has the market cornered for the crafting community.  I hope they realize their knee jerk reaction to an isolated event was extreme and discriminated against other users, and recall their gag order policy accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment